Low-back pain is a leading cause of job-related disability and missed work in the United States. The pain is so unbearable that Americans spend more than $50 billion per year in an effort to make it go away. If you are experiencing work-related back pain, here are some back-protecting tips that may bring you relief:
- Lift wisely. Take your time, get help when needed, use lifting devices, and alternate heavy lifting with less physically demanding tasks. Follow the rules of good posture while lifting:
- Place feet at least shoulder-width apart.
- Stand as close as possible to the object being lifted.
- Hold the object as close to your body as you can.
- Avoid twisting or bending forward when lifting and carrying.
- Bend at the knees instead of the waist.
- Tighten your stomach muscles when lifting and lowering.