- National Programs
- News & Events
2016 Zeta Trivia Pursuit Q & A
Test your historical knowledge by answering the questions below. Click the (+) to expand each trivia.
Trivia Week 4
- Under which Grand Basileus were State Directors first appointed?
Answer: Nellie B. Rogers; 9th Grand Basileus
- How many Boule’s over the years have been held in the South Central Region?
Answer: One —1980 the Boule was held in Memphis, Tennessee
- Name the Past Grand Basileus who passed on while serving her term of office and the year?
Answer: Violette N. Anderson; 8th Grand Basileus and she passed in 1937
- Under who’s administration were all past Grand Basilei awarded Life Membership and in what year?
Answer: Lullelia Walker Harrison; 12th Grand Basileus and the year was 1945 at the Boule in St. Louis, MO
- Under who’s administration was the Torchbearers of a Legacy published?
Answer: Dr. Barbara West Carpenter; 21st International Grand Basileus
Trivia Week 3
- Which Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated Past International Grand Basileus later married a Phi Beta Sigma National President?
Ruth Tappe Scruggs, 6th Grand Basileus; who was married to Brother Ivorite Scruggs
- Name the four adopted programs initiated in 1992?
- Challenger Kids Program
- Give yourself the Gift of Health
- Zeta Mentors
- The Male Network
- When was the Stork’s Nest adopted as the National Project of the sorority?
Answer: The “Stork’s Nest” national project was adopted at the 1972 Boule.
- In which past Grand Basileus administration did we become recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)7 organization and the date?
The Sorority was granted 501©7 status as of January 19, 1959 under the administration of 14th Past International Grand Basileus, Dr. Deborah C. Partridge Wolfe.
- Which Grand Basileus only served for three months in office?
Edith A. Lyons; 10th Grand Basileus
Trivia Week 2
- Zeta was the first African- American Sorority in several areas – name 5?
The first Greek-letter sorority organized in Africa in the year 1948. Delta Iota Zeta Chapter and Upsilon Beta Chapter were organized in Monrovia, Liberia.
- Established the first National Executive Office of a black sorority in 1948.
- Became the first to establish national auxiliaries in 1948.
- First and only National Panhellenic Council (NPHC) sorority to be constitutionally bound to a fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.
- First black Greek-letter organization to host a national convention south of the Mason-Dixon Line in Houston, TX in 1937.
- First sorority to organize in Texas on a college campus. Theta Chapter was established in 1923 at Wiley College in Marshall, TX.
- First sorority to charter in Dubai – May 2014
- First sorority to charter an Amicae auxiliary in Belgium – March 2014.
- First sorority to charter a chapter in Trinidad and Tobago – June 2016.
- When was the term Grand Basileus first used?
Answer: The National Basileus became known as the Grand Basileus in 1926 and the International Grand in 1948 upon the chartering in Africa.
- What was the date of the first annual meeting for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority and what was the annual meeting called?
Answer: The date of the first annual meeting for Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was December 26-28, 1920 and the annual meeting was called “Conclave”
- At which Boule were the Five Founders awarded Life Membership into Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated and where was it held?
All Five Founders were granted Life Membership at the 25th Anniversary Boule in 1945 held in St. Louis, MO
- Name 6 of the Past International Grand Basilei who are legacies?
- Nellie Rogers; 9th Grand Basileus
- Lullelia Harrison; 12th Grand Basileus
- Isabel Herson; 16th International Grand Basileus
- Dr. Jylla Moore Tearte (formerly Foster); 20th International Grand Basileus
- Dr. Barbara West Carpenter; 21st International Grand Basileus
- Barbara C. Moore; 22nd International Grand Basileus
- Sheryl P. Underwood; 23rd International Grand Basileus
Trivia Week 1
- Which affiliate organizations of the National Pan-Hellenic Council were NOT founded at Howard University in Washington DC and where were they founded?
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated | Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated | Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated | Butler University, Indianapolis, IN
- Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Incorporated | Morgan State College, Baltimore MD
- Who wrote the lyrics to our National Hymn?
Answer: Anita Turpeau
- What other historical event occurred on the day Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded?
Answer: Prohibition (the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution went into effect on January 16, 1920)
- Who were the Incorporators of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated?
Answer: Myrtle L. Tyler, Gladys Warrington, Joanna R. Houston, Josephine F. Johnson
- Name each Founder (including their middle, maiden and married names) and their college majors?
- Arizona Leedonia Cleaver Stemons – Social Work
- Pearl Anna Neal – Music
- Viola Tyler Goings – Education
- Myrtle Lavenia Tyler Faithful – Education
- Fannie Pettie Watts – Education